99th Regiment, Ohio InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 99th Regiment was organized at Camp Lima, Allen County, Ohio, and mustered in August 26, 1862. It was consolidated with 50th Ohio Infantry December 31, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 99th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 99th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 5 September 2012).
- The wikipedia article, 99th Ohio Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- 99th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 20 November 2011).
- ↑ The History of Hancock County, Ohio.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The History of Hancock County
- ↑ History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County, page 533.
- This page was last modified on 7 February 2014, at 00:07.
- This page has been accessed 1,468 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More