9th Regiment, Vermont InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 9th Regiment, Vermont Infantry was organized at Brattleboro and mustered in July 9, 1862.
The regimentmustered out December 1, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 9th Vermont Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 9th Vermont Infantry, accessed 21 November 2011.
- The Civil War Archive section, 9th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Kimball, M. (Moses); Jarvis, Charles. A discourse commemorative of Major Charles Jarvis, of the Ninth Vermont Volunteers : ... delivered at his funeral, in the Congregatioonal Church, at Weathersfield Bow, Vt. December 13, 1863. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991) FHL Fiche 6083398
- Ripley, Edward H. (Edward Hastings). The capture and occupation of Richmond, April 3rd, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991) FHL Fiche 6083399
- Civil War in the East, 9th Vermont Infantry Regiment, (accessed 3 April 2013).
- Vermont Historical Society Civil War (accessed 3 April 2013).
- Antietam, 9th Vermont Infantry, (accessed 3 April 2013).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 17 January 2011).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,308 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News