A Comprehensive List of Whalley ChapelriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Lancashire Church Records page.
Return to the Lancashire Parishes page.
Return to the Lancashire Church Records, Parishes beginning with We-Z page.
Whalley St Mary's Parish is one of the larger ancient parishes in Lancashire. It has considerable number of townships lying within its boundary--most of which have one or more chapels (over 40 of them) attached to them. To be thorough, a search of "Whalley ancient parish requires a search in all of its attached chapels of ease (see the list below).
Places in Whalley St Mary's Parish include: Wheatley Booth, Twiston, Wheatley Carr Booth, Wheatley Lane, Wiswell, Wolfendenen-in-Newchurch, Worston, Wycoller, Barley, Barley with Wheatley Booth, Blacko, Booth Rough-lee, Booth Laund Old, Bowland, Bowland Forest Low, Coldcoats, Constable, Crawshaw Booth, Dunnockshaw, Dunnockshaw Close, Elfenden, Entwistle, Foulridge, Gambleside, Great Mearley, Hapton, Henthorn, Higham with West Close Booth, Higher Booths, Laund Booth, Little Bowland and Leagram, Little Mearley, Little Mitton, Henthorn and Coldcoats, Love Clough, Lower Booths, Mearley, Monkride and Barnside, Monkroyd and Barnside, Oakenheadwood, Old Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Read, Standen and Standen Hey, Tunstead, and Wheatley Carr.
The following list provides the names of all of those chapelries lying within the boundaries of the Parish of Whalley St Mary's, Lancashire:
- Accrington St James - 1766
- Accrington Christchurch - 1840
- Accrington St John the Evangelist - 1868
- Altham - 1596
- Bacop St. John's - 1788
- Bacup St Saviour
- Booth Old Laund - see Fence-in-Pendle
- Briercliffe - 1841
- Burnley St Peter - 1562
- Burnley St Andrew - 1868
- Burnley St James - 1845
- Burnley St Paul - 1846
- Burney St Stephen - 1879
- Chatburn - 1838
- Church-Kirk or Church - 1600
- Clayton-le-Moors - 1840
- Clitheroe St Mary - 1570
- Clitheroe St James - 1839
- Clitheroe Castle Chapel - 1683
- Colne Christchurch - 1599
- Colne-Barrowford - 1839
- Downham - 1606
- Fence-in-Pendle - 1837
- Goodshaw - 1749
- Habergham-All Saints - 1845
- Habergham-Eaves - 1837
- Haslingden - 1598
- Heyhouses - 1841
- Holme St. John-the-Divine (formerly St. John the Evangelist) Holme-in-Cliviger or Holmes Chapel - 1725
- Lumb St Michaels -1846
- Marsden, Little - 1725
- Marsden, Great - 1848
- Reedley Hallows, Filly Close and New Laund Booth
- Newchurch-in-Pendle - 1574
- Newchurch-in-Rossendale St Nicholas - 1606
- Oswaldtwistle, Hippings Chapel - 1817
- Oswaldtwistle Immanuel's Church - 1836
- Trawden -1846
- Padiham - 1573
- Rawtenstall - 1838
- Tunstead - 1840 (partly also in Rochdale Parish)
- Whitewell - 1844
- Worsthorne - 1848
For determining additional district chapels created after 1855, see John M. Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales (1870) at www.visionofBritain.org.uk.
- This page was last modified on 19 September 2012, at 20:17.
- This page has been accessed 458 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback