A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New EnglandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Use online editions of James Savage’s book A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England to find biographical information of many early settlers of New England. If your ancestors were from any of the six New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont), this record might be very helpful in your research.
"Though the publication includes some errors, it remains an important reference point for New England genealogists." (D. Joshua Taylor, "Printed, Online, and Onsite: Fantastic Resources for Colonial New England Research," Crossroads, Utah Genealogical Association, Fall 2012, 9.)
Each settler’s biographical sketch may include:
- Birth date and place
- Marriage date and place
- Death date and place
- Biographical information
- Other family members
- Vol. 1, A-C: Internet Archives (color), Google Books (good search)
- Vol. 2, D-J: Internet Archives (color), Google Books (good search)
- Vol. 3, K-R: Internet Archives (color), Google Books (good search)
- Vol. 4, S-Z: Internet Archives (color), Google Books (good search)
- Robert Kraft Transcriptions (Text - All Volumes):
- USGenNet (html in 2000, merges original pages, formatting departures from original, surname index per volume)
- WeRelate (Active wiki project started 2012. Single complete surname index. Original page and line breaks. Links to next/prev page, see also, and more than 18,000 unique Person pages in the WeRelate unified family tree. Over 250 known defects marked).
- This page was last modified on 28 January 2016, at 20:49.
- This page has been accessed 9,441 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News