Abbots Bickington, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Abbots Bickington, Devonshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BICKINGTON, ABBOT'S (St. James), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Torrington. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241326.
Abbots Bickington, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online by the following groups:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FS PR's = FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Abbots Bickington, Devon Parish Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Wesleyan Methodist
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Poor Law Union
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Identify court jurisdictions by parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Lewis,Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 228-233. Access date 11 June 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 03:35.
- This page has been accessed 1,126 times.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here