Adams County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This article is about a northeast Colorado county. For other uses, see Adams.
Guide to Adams County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Adams County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||April 15, 1901|
|Address|| Adams County Courthouse|
450 S 4th Avenue
Brighton, CO 80901-3196
Adams County Website
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1902,
some burial records, some land records from Arapahoe
County prior to 1901, school census 1902-1964 and military
discharge records, 17th Judicial District Court Clerk has divorce records;
Probate Court has probate records; Hall of Justice has court records 
County Clerk / Recorder
4430 S. Adams County Pkwy.
Brighton, CO 80601
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Parent CountyArapahoe County.
Annexed part of Denver County in 1909.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
For early vital records check Colorado State Archives, Historical Records Index
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
To obtain a recent birth certificate for yourself or a near relative, contact the Tri-County Health Department by calling 303-220-9200 or visiting:
6162 S. Willow Drive #100
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
The Adams County Recorder's office will search their indexes if you call or come in to the office. If a record is found, a copy can be purchased in person or by mail. Call 720-523-6020.
- 1864 - 1995 Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1853 - 2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1900 - 1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1859 - 1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
To obtain a recent death certificate for yourself or a near relative, contact the Tri-County Health Department by calling 303-220-9200 or visiting:
6162 S. Willow Drive #100
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only Index to the Adams County Divorce Records for the period 1904-1913 on-line.
For information regarding other divorce documents, please contact the Adams County Court System at 303-659-1161.
Belleview Cemetery, Westminster BillionGraves
Eastlawn Memorial Gardens
Highland Memorial Gardens
Mount Nebo Cemetery
Riverside Cemetery, Commerce City BillionGraves
Rose Hill Cemetery
Wesley Chapel Cemetery
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Colorado Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Adams County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Adams County Old Age Pension Records 1933 - 1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the Adams County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
Local histories are available for Adams County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
- Family Maps of Adams County, Colorado Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Ancestry maps - Top cities by ethnic group
Historic maps of CO cities - Library of Congress
Historic maps of Colorado
Adams County Maps Adams County, Colorado
American Battle Monuments Commission - Overseas cemeteries
Civil War Soldiers & Sailors database
Military records - National Archives
Nationwide grave locator - U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Search military records (historic)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Colorado State Archives has put an index of the Adams County teachers who were approved to teach in the county by the County Superintendent of Schools for the years 1913-1935 on-line. This list shows their name and may include the date, type of teaching certificate they possess and the town of residence.
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Archives and Libraries
- Rangeview Library District
11658 N. Huron
Northglenn, CO 80234
- Westminster Public Library
3705 W. 112th Ave
Westminster, CO 80031
Phone: (303) 404-5555
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Adams County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
- Adams County Divorces 1904 - 1913
- Adams County Inheritance Tax 1929 - 1943
- Adams County Old Age Pension 1933 - 1936
- Adams County Teachers 1913 - 1935
- Adams County Wills 1903 - 1938
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Aurora Colorado Family History Center
- 950 Laredo St Aurora, CO 80011
- Brighton Colorado Family History Center
- Denver Colorado North Family History Center
- Brighton Genealogy Society
343 S. 21st Street
Brighton, CO 80601-2525
- Adams County Historical Society
9601 Henderson Rd.
Brighton, CO 80601
Adams County Historical Society
- Aurora Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 31732
Aurora, CO 80041-0732
Aurora Genealogical Society
Commerce City (city)
Federal Heights (city)
- Adams County COGenWeb Project]
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Adams County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adams County, Colorado. Page 97At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 18 December 2015, at 14:19.
- This page has been accessed 19,864 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News