Alaska GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States Alaska
Welcome to Alaska, North to the Future
The National Archives has land-entry case files and a card index to 1908 containing only 56 cash entries and 133 homestead patents for the entire state. Patents, tract books, and township plats are at:
Bureau of Land Management
222 W. 7th Ave. #13
Anchorage AK 99513-7599
Did You Know?
More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in Alaska.
The U.S. state of Alaska is not divided into counties, as 48 other states are (Louisiana having parishes instead), but it is divided into boroughs. Many of the more densely populated parts of the state are part of Alaska's eighteen boroughs, which function somewhat similarly to counties in other states. However, unlike county-equivalents in the other 49 states, the boroughs do not cover the entire land area of the state. The area not part of any borough is referred to as the unorganized borough.
For the 1970 census, the U.S. Census Bureau, in cooperation with the state, divided the unorganized borough into 11 census areas, each roughly corresponding to an election district. However, these areas exist solely for the purposes of statistical analysis and presentation. They have no government of their own. Boroughs and census areas are both treated as county-level equivalents by the Census Bureau.
Suzallo Library Univ. of Washington · Alaska State Archives · Alaska Historical Library · Alaska State Library · University of Alaska, Anchorage · University of Alaska, Fairbanks · Anchorage Municipal Library · Alaskana Collection and Archives · National Archives Pacific Alaska Region (Anchorage) · National Archives Pacific Alaska Region - Seattle · Family History Library · Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park Seattle · Library and Archives Branch Whitehorse, YT · Quesnel and District Museum, Quesnel, BC
- Alaska Trails to the Past
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Alaska GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- BYU Research Outline for Alaska
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Alaska
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Help with the Alaska Wiki pages
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need willing volunteers. You can help:
- Expand county articles
- Check links on pages
- ...and more
|- | |}
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:58.
- This page has been accessed 100,674 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More