Allerton All Hallows, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Allerton is a suburb of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England. It is located 3 miles (4.8 km) southeast of Liverpool city centre, bordered by Mossley Hill, Woolton, Hunts Cross and Garston.
Historically a part of Lancashire, Allerton has a number of large houses in the prestigious Calderstones Park area, with mainly 1930s semi-detached housing around the shopping area of Allerton Road. Allerton is paired with nearby Hunts Cross to form the Allerton and Hunts Cross city council ward.
In the Domesday Book it appears as Alretune meaning 'the alder enclosure', derived from the Old English alr 'alder' and tún 'enclosure or village'.
Allerton was made an urban district by the Local Government Act 1894, and added to the county borough of Liverpool on 9 November 1913.
The Church of All Hallows, Allerton is in Allerton, Liverpool, Merseyside, England is a Grade I listed building and an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Liverpool South - Childwall.
The church was built at the expense of John Bibby of Bibby Line in memory of his first wife at a cost of £20,000. The foundation stone was laid on 31 October 1872, and the church was consecrated on 10 August 1876 by the Bishop of Chester. During the Second World War the stained glass was removed to Slaidburn, Yorkshire for safety and replaced by plain glass. This was destroyed in an air raid and the stained glass was returned in 1946.
Out of the 15 windows, 14 were designed by Edward Burne-Jones, with some input from William Morris, and were made by Morris & Co. Pollard and Pevsner consider that the west and east windows are the best. The east window was made in 1875–86 and depicts the Adoration of the Lamb. Burne-Jones also claimed that this was his finest piece of work. The west window depicts the Four Evangelists. The window in the south transept was built in 1879 and depicts four holy men; Noah, Moses, Daniel and St Paul. In the north transept dating from 1880 are four holy women: Mary, the sister of Aaron, Ruth the Moabitess, Queen Esther and the Blessed Virgin. The north chancel windows followed in 1881; they depict angels and are memorials windows to John Bibby's children. The eight windows in the aisles were made between 1882 and 1886 and depict incidents from the life of Jesus. The other window is at the east end of the north transept and was made by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
Also in the church are memorials to members of the Bibby family. One represents an earlier John Bibby who died in 1811. It is by William Spence and contains a standing figure of Hope. This memorial was moved from St Thomas' Church, Seaforth in 1978. Another memorial is to Mrs Bibby by Frederigo Fabiani.
Poor Law Unions
Pollard, Richard; Nikolaus Pevsner (2006), The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, New Haven & London: Yale University Press, pp. 386–387, ISBN 0 300 10910 5
- This page was last modified on 29 September 2012, at 12:13.
- This page has been accessed 369 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More