Amite County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Amite County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Amite County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||24 February, 1809|
|Address|| Amite County Courthouse|
243 W Main St;
Liberty, MS 39645-0000
243 W Main St;
Liberty, MS 39645-0000
Clerk Chancery Court has court, land and probate records from 1809. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana
- St. Helena Parish, Louisiana
- Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana
- LDS Cemetery Records
- Bethel Baptist Cemetery - US Vol. 5 page 215
For tips on accessing Amite County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Amite County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1643-1947)
- Family Maps of Amite County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Amite County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Amite County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Stockdale Rangers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Amite Rifles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Amite County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Amite County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Amite County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1900 - Amite County, Mississippi Marriages. Arranged by bride. Arranged by groom. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1809-1844 - Amite County Marriage Books 1 thru 3 Index 1809-1844. Batch M516731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1844-1873 - Amite County Marriage Books 4 thru 6 Index 1844-1873. Batch M516732 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1879 - Amite County Marriage Book 7 Index 1866-1879. Batch M516733 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1885 - Amite County Marriage Books 10 and 11 Index 1879-1885. Batch M516734 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1892 - Amite County Marriage Books 12 and 13 Index 1887-1892. Batch M516735 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1899 - Amite County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1892-1899. Batch M516736 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1903 - Amite County Marriage Books 16 and 17 Index 1899-1903. Batch M735104 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1903-1905 - Amite County Marriage Book 18 Index 1903-1905. Batch M735111 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1905-1910 - Amite County Marriage Books 19 and 20 Index 1905-1910. Batch M735112 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1910-1917 - Amite County Marriage Books 21 and 22 Index 1910-1917. Batch M735345 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1917-1924 - Amite County Marriage Books 23 thru 25 Index 1917-1924. Batch M735082 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1924-1928 - Amite County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1924-1928. Batch M735182 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Amite County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Amite County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2014, at 02:37.
- This page has been accessed 7,533 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback