Anoka County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Anoka County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Anoka County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Anoka County Courthouse|
325 East Main Street,
Anoka, MN 55303
Anoka County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1865, divorce, court and land records from 1866.
Probate Judge has probate records. 
- For a brief history of how Anoka County was named, click here. Then select Anoka County.
no apparent changes
Andover . Anoka . Bethel . Blaine . Centerville . Circle Pines . Columbia Heights . Columbus . Coon Rapids .East Bethel . Fridley . Ham Lake . Hilltop . Lexington . Lino Lakes . Nowthen . Oak Grove . Ramsey . St. Francis . Spring Lake Park
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, ANOKA – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Anoka County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Anoka County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Anoka County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company C.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 5th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company E.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Anoka County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Anoka County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Anoka County MNGenWeb Project, an member of The MNGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Cyndi's List: Anoka County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Anoka County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 16 August 2013, at 16:29.
- This page has been accessed 6,392 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback