Appleford, Berkshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Appleford, Berkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Abingdon PLU|
|Parish registers: 1563; For more records see Sutton Courtenay|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1610|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - Salisbury; Post-1835 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Berkshire Record Office|
APPLEFORD, is a chapelry, in the parish of Sutton Courtney, union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, and county of Berkshire, it is 3½ miles S. E. from Abingdon. Here is a station of the Oxford branch of the Great Western railway. The chapel is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Appleford, Berkshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BERK = Berkshire Parish Records (findmypast) - (£).|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Appleford, Berkshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241203.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Berkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Appleford Chapelry in the parish of Sutton Courtney in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 66-69 Accessed. 25 Mar 2013
- ↑ 'New Berkshire parish records published on findmypast.co.uk,', findmypast, accessed 28 January 2014.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 30 January 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Berkshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 31 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Berkshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- ↑ 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 21 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 18 May 2015, at 16:31.
- This page has been accessed 3,078 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News