Arapahoe County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Arapahoe County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Arapahoe County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1861|
|Address|| Arapahoe County Courthouse|
5334 S Prince Street
Littleton, CO 80166-0001
Arapahoe County Website
County Courthouse and Recorder
First formed in 1855 as Territorial County. See Kansas 1860 for census records.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1902 burial records to 1941; County Court has divorce, probate and court records
Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder's Office
5334 S. Prince St.
Littleton, CO 80120
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
For early vital records check Colorado State Archives, Historical Records Index
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
To obtain a recent birth certificate for yourself or a near relative, contact the Tri-County Health Department by calling 303-220-9200 or visiting:
6162 S. Willow Drive #100
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
The Arapahoe County Recorder's office will search their indexes if you call or come in to the office. If a record is found, a copy can be purchased in person or by mail. Call 303-795-4520 and press 0 to speak to a clerk.
- 1864 - 1995 Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1853 - 2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1900 - 1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1859 - 1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
To obtain a recent death certificate for yourself or a near relative, contact the Tri-County Health Department by calling 303-220-9200 or visiting:
6162 S. Willow Drive #100
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Arapahoe County is part of the Colorado 18th Judicial District. To contact them for divorce information prior to 1992 or after 2009, call 303-649-6355 or write to Arapahoe Combined Courts at 7325 S. Potomac Street, Centennial CO 80112. In this letter include the names of the parties at the time of the divorce, the approximate year of the divorce, and your phone number. Do not forget to include your phone number! There is a fee for a search ($5 in 2014), and a small fee for each page copied.
For the years 1992 to 2009, the divorce records are in the state archives https://www.colorado.gov/archives/arapahoedivorce . Follow the directions on that site to obtain the record.
1 November 1861: Arapahoe County was created as an original county in Colorado Territory.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Arapahoe County Civil Docket Book 1867 - 1869
Arapahoe County Old Age Pension 1933 - 1936
Arapahoe County Hospital 1891 - 1899
Arapahoe County Poor Hospital 1895 - 1899
Arapahoe County Probate Cases 1902 - 1937
Arapahoe County Teachers Cards Dist 1 & 6 1953
Arapahoe County Voter Registrations 1893 - 1905
- Evergreen Cemetery, Deer Trail, Arapahoe county, Colorado - transcription at town web site.
- Littleton Cemetery, Littleton BillionGraves
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|See Colorado Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
The Colorado Genealogical Society's 1885 Colorado State Census - Arapahoe County PDF File with every name indexed.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Arapahoe County Old Age Pension Records 1933-1936. An Index compiled from the offical record of the applications granted by the Arapahoe County Commissioners during these years. Record may show the following:
- Name of Applicant
- Date and Amount of pension payment
- Any adjustments to the pension
- Person's age
- Town nearest to where they lived
- Other Actions done by the County
Local History and Biographies
Local histories are available for Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
- Biographies of Prominent Families of Littleton, Arapahoe, Colorado.
- Early History of Littleton, Arapahoe, Colorado.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1888-1923 - Littleton Independent aka Littleton Gazette online at Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection - free.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colorado State Archives has put an Index to the Arapahoe County Poor Hospital Records for 1895-1899 on-line.
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
- 1875 – 1974 Colorado Wills and Probate Records 1875-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Colorado State Archives web site has Arapahoe county Probate cases 1902-1959.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Libraries and Museums
- Arapahoe Library District
12855 E. Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
- Englewood Public Library
1000 Englewood Parkway
Englewood, CO 80110
- Aurora Public Library
14949 E Alameda Parkway
Aurora, CO 80012
- Littleton/Bemis Public Library
6014 S. Datura St.
Littleton, CO 80120
- Columbine Genealogical and Historical Society
P.O. Box 2074
Centennial, CO 80161-2074
- Sheridan Historical Society
4101 S. Federal Blvd.
Sheridan, CO 80110-5399
- Aurora Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 31732
Aurora, CO 80041-0732
- Mount Rosa Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Aurora Established & incorporated in 1891 - Originally called Fletcher, name changed in 1907
Bennett Established 1870, Incorporated in 1930, mostly in Adams County
Bow Mar Incorporated in 1958
Centennial (created mostly from Southglenn and Castlewood CDPs)
Cherry Hills Village Incorporated in 1945
Columbine Valley Incorporated in 1959
Deer Trail Incorporated in 1920
Englewood Established and Incorporated in 1903
Foxfield Incorporated in 1994
Glendale Incorporated in 1952
Greenwood Village Incorporated in 1950
Littleton Established in 1872, Incorporated in 1890
Sheridan Incorporated in 1891, Also called "Petersburg"
Byers Also called “Bijou”
Castlewood (now part of Centennial)
Southglenn (now part of Centennial)
- Arapahoe County COGenWeb]
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Arapahoe County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Arapahoe County GenWeb
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Arapahoe County, Colorado. Page 97At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Colorado Online Historical Newspapers, https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa/co, accessed 19 July 2013.
- This page was last modified on 18 December 2015, at 18:33.
- This page has been accessed 17,574 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News