Ashmore, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ashmore, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Type||Civil parishEcclesiastical parish|
|Poor Law Union||Shaftesbury PLU|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
ASHMORE, a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; contiguous to Wilts, 5 miles SE of Shaftesbury, and 7½ N of Blandford r. station. Post Town, Shaftesbury under Salisbury. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ashmore, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Ashmore, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241341.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh 1870. Date accessed: 03 July 2013.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Edward William Watson, Ashmore, Co. Dorset: A History of the Parish with Index to the Registers, 1651 to 1820 (Gloucester: J. Bellows, 1890). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Dorset Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 15 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ Batch P017131, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Dorset, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Burial Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 19:25.
- This page has been accessed 2,153 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News