Atherington, Devon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Atherington, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||North Taunton with Winkleigh|
|Poor Law Union||Barnstaple PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1596|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
ATHERINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (S. S. E.)from Barnstaple. The parish is situated on the river Taw, intersected by the direct road from Barnstaple to Exeter.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Atherington, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|ATHERINGTON PARISH Online Records|
||1778-1812, 1837-1857|| |
- Bible Christian Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241323.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Atherington on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 108-112. Date accessed: 09 July 2012.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:47.
- This page has been accessed 3,352 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More