Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Redirected from Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland)

Scotland Gotoarrow.png Fife Gotoarrow.png Auchtermuchty

Parish #406 

This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Auchtermuchty. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.

Contents

History

AUCHTERMUCHTY, a royal burgh, and a parish, in the district of Cupar, county of Fife, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Cupar; containing the village of Dunshelt. This place, of which the name, in the Gaelic language, signifies "the cottage of the king," is supposed, from that circumstance, to have been appropriated to the accommodation of part of the royal household, during the king's residence in the palace of Falkland. The church, a plain building erected in 1785, was enlarged in 1837 and now contains 1100 sittings. There are places of worship for members of the Free Church, the United Secession, and the Relief Synod.[1]

This parish is four miles long and 1 to 2 miles wide.  The burgh and town of Auchtermuchty is situated about a mile from the southern boundary of the parish by the river Eden.  The road from Stirling to St. Andrews passes through the southern end of the town, and the road between Perth and Edinburgh also passes through the town, and a coach has now been established on the road for several years.  The boundary with the county of Perth is less than a mile from the town of Auchtermuchty on the north.  The population of the parish in 1811 was 2403 and in 1841 was 3352.  In addition to the burgh and town, which has a populaton of 2550, there is a village of Dunshelt with a population of 601, and in the landward part of the parish the population is 293.  The number of families in the parish is nearly 750 of which Dissenters form about one-half.

The parish church was built in 1780 and added to in 1838 so that it now accommodates 900 sitters.  In addition, there are three dissenter meeting houses in the parish: two in connection with the United Secession Church and one belonging to the Relief.  Together they seat 1200 and are well attended.

There are six schools in the parish of which five are in Auchtermuchty and one at Dunshelt.  One is the parochial school and three are village schools.  The number of imperial acres cultivated in the parish is nearly 2600.

The above extract comes from the account written in January 1843.

Source:  The New Statistical Account of Scotland, for Fife.  FHL book 941 B4sa, 2nd series, vol. 9. 

 
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/.  Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish you are interested in. Also available at the Family History Library

Census Records

 A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.

Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Auchtermuchty as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:

Year Family History Library Film Number Surname Indexes
1841      Missing book 941.33 X22s; films 1145982-3; CD-ROM no. 1075
1851 1042252 941.33 X22f
1861 0103825 CD-ROM no. 2524
1871 0103986 None
1881 0203516 6086574 (8 fiche)
1891 0208747 None


The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access indexes through the library.

Church Records

The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records

Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.  

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers

Event Type Years Covered Family History Library Film Number
Births: 1649-1667, 1700-1819 1040148 item 4
1820-1854 1040149 items 1-2
Marriages: 1649-1667, 1702-1786, 1794 1040148 item 4
1701-1854 1040149 items 1-2
Deaths: 1649-1667 1040148 item 4
1701-1851 1040149 items 1-2

www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp

Condition of Original Registers—

Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computer at the Family History Library and family history centers.  The records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: There are no birth entries December 1661–March 1663, August 1667–September 1702. After 1794, blank spaces occur apparently intended for neglected registration.
Marriages: There are no entries December 1661–August 1663, July 1667–October 1702, except five for 1794, June 1786–April 1795. From this date until 1817 the entries are of proclamations, and these are incomplete until April 1797. Entries of sums mortified by bridegrooms before marriage 1701–1794 are in volume two.
Deaths: There are no death entries February 1662–February 1663 and June 1667–November 1744. Mortcloth Dues from November 1744–January 1817 when a record of death again begins. From 1704–1799 there are occasional entries relating to the funeral expenses of paupers which are mixed with other matters in volume two.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. Family History Library British Book 941 K23b.

Established Church—Kirk Session Records

The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.

Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:

Minutes 1649–1658, 1701–1799, 1832–1923
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH2/24.

Nonconformist Church Records

A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union Lists.

Auchtermuchty Free Church

History—
This congregation was formed at the Disruption and services were at once provided. A church and school were built in 1843.
Membership: 1848, 194; 1900, 180.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 Vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details may be given in the source.

Records—
Minutes 1843–1923
Accounts 1844–1859
Baptisms 1843–1862
Marriages 1843–1861
Communion Rolls 1843–1922
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH3/604.


Auchtermuchty East (Associate Burgher) United Presbyterian

History—
The Breach in 1747 affected the Seceders in Auchtermuchty and Collessie in common with those elsewhere. Those adhering to the General Associate Anti-burgher Synod continued to form part of the congregations at Abernethy, Ceres, and Leslie. Those who adhered to the Associate Burgher Synod separated from them and obtained supply of sermon for themselves at Auchtermuchty.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are begiven in the source including ministers.

Records—          Years Covered       Family History Library Film Number
Baptisms            1748–1806              0889482 item 3
Account Book     1839–1850              0889482 item 3

Other:
Session Minutes 1752–1827
Account Book 1752–1838

Minutes 1846–1872
Accounts 1854
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, records CH3/436, 601.


Auchtermuchty West (Relief) United Presbyterian Church

History—
The parish church of Auchtermuchty became vacant in 1762 and the patron and parishioners disagreed over the appointment of the new minister. A portion of the parishioners applied for and obtained supply of sermon from the Relief Presbytery of Edinburgh.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source including ministers.

Records—
The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown.


Auchtermuchty North (Anti-burgher) United Presbyterian

History—
This congregation was formed by members of the congregation of Abernethy, resident in the parishes of Auchtermuchty and Strathmiglo, was disjoined from Abernethy and formed into a separate congregation in 1783. The first church was built that same year, the second church built in 1850.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source including ministers.

Records—
Minutes 1844–1910
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH3/603.

Civil Registration Records

Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.

See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.

Probate Records

Auc was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of St. Andrews until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Fife at Cupar. Probate records for 1513-1901 are indexed online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp catalog for the 'Place' of Fife and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Fife. 

The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Fife. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place' of Fife and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'

Read more about Scotland Probate Records.

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 72-84. Adapted. Date accessed: 24 April 2014.
 

[Return to the Fife parish page.]


 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:42.
  • This page has been accessed 2,898 times.