Australia NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Australia NewspapersHistoric Australian Newspapers, 1803 to 1954 project is digitizing many early newspapers.
Google news has put the Sydney Morning Herald on-line. The images start with 1854 and continue to the present. It is not a complete run but still worth your time. It is free to use and view the newspaper but you cannot print or copy the image.
Some compilations have been made of the genealogical information found in early newspapers. The following is an example for Queensland.
Grinly, Merle, and Margaret Belcher, Editors. Crosse- Dunleavy index: births, marriages, and deaths, 1846–1860. Stones Corner, Queensland, Australia: The Genealogical Society of Queensland, 1985. (Family History Library book number 994.3 B32c.)
Family History Library Collection
To find newspapers and compilations available in the Family History Library, look in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - NEWSPAPERS
Bibliographies of existing newspapers are also available. The following is an example:
- Newspapers in Australian Libraries: A Union List. Fourth Edition. Canberra, Australia: National Library of Australia, 1984–1985. (Family History Library Call Number 994 B33n 1984.)
To find newspaper bibliographies, look in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
AUSTRALIA - NEWSPAPERS - BIBLIOGRAPHY
AUSTRALIA, [STATE] - NEWSPAPERS - BIBLIOGRAPHY
- Australian Newspapers
- Ryerson Index
- Trove Digitized Newspapers and other resources from The National Library of Australia
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 19:19.
- This page has been accessed 3,441 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More