Austria Beginners Corner Getting StartedEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Austria Page►
Begin with family and home sources. Look for names, dates, and places on certificates, family bibles, obituaries, diaries, and similar sources. Interview extended family and close relatives as well as former neighbors--all of which may prove very helpful in gathering as much knowledge about an ancestor as possible. Ask your relatives for any additional information. It is possible that distant relatives may have some family information. Organize the information you find, and record it on pedigree charts and family group records.
It is not enough information to just know that your ancestor came from Austria. It is important to realize that Austria was a large empire until its break-up at the end of WWI, you need to identify the crownland or province like Poland, Hungary, Tirol, etc.
Select a specific relative or ancestor born in Austria for whom you know at least the name, the village or parish where he or she may have lived in Austria, and an approximate date when he or she was born theresources. It is also helpful to know the names of other family members born there.
As you look over your family group records, or pedigree chars, ask yourself "What do I want to find next?"
- The last person on a specific line of your pedigree chart
- A missing parent on the family group record
- A gap between the birth years of the children on a family group record (a wide enough gap that there may be missing children in between siblings)
- Finding the last children to the parents (during the mothers’ child bearing years)
- To find the birth date and place for an individual listed on the family group record without one
- Locating the marriage date and place for the parents on a family group record
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2014, at 22:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,714 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News