Bangor is y Coed, WrexhamEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

WalesGotoarrow.pngWrexhamGotoarrow.pngBangor is y Coed

A guide to genealogy in Bangor is y Coed, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.

Bangor is y Coed or Bangor Iscoed (and sometimes known as Bangor on Dee by English speakers) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales, and is situated on the banks of the River Dee.

In older documents the parish may be known as Bangor Monachorum, a reference to the monastery that once stood outside the village.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire but the majority of the ecclesiastical parish lay across the river in Denbighshire. Between 1974 and 1996 it was in the County of Clwyd and in 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Wrexham.

Note: Bangor is y Coed should not be confused with two nearby places with similar names: Isycoed and Iscoed (also known as Whitwell).

Bangor is y Coed Parish Church

Contents

History

A monastery was established at Bangor is y Coed in about AD 560 by Saint Dunawd and was an important religious centre in the 5th and 6th centuries. This monastery was destroyed in about AD 616 after Aethelfrith, the King of Northumbria, defeated the Welsh, led by Brochfael, at the Battle of Chester. The scholar Bede wrote that 1200 monks were slaughtered in the attack. Today no trace of the monastery remains and even its site is uncertain.

The five-arched stone arch bridge across the River Dee dates from about 1660 and it is believed to have been built by Inigo Jones.

The ancient parish of Bangor is y Coed covered parts of both Flintshire and Denbighshire and comprised the townships of:

  • Bangor is y Coed (Flintshire)
  • Eyton (Denbighshire)
  • Royton (Denbighshire)
  • Sesswick Denbighshire)
  • Pickhill (Denbighshire)
Bangor is y Coed

This parish was in the English diocese of Lichfield until 1541, when it was transferred to the newly created English diocese of Chester. In 1849 it was transferred to the Welsh diocese of St. Asaph.

Administration

Years County
before 1974 Flintshire (detached) & Denbighshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Clwyd
from 1 April 1996 Wrexham

Records

Civil Records

When Civil Registration was introduced on 1 July 1837, the parish of Bangor is y Coed formed part of the Malpas sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Bangor is y Coed will appear as Wrexham in the GRO Indexes.
However, on 30 September 1896, the parish of Bangor was transferred to the Overton sub-district of the Ellesmere Registration District and and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1 July 1837 in Bangor is y Coed will appear as Ellesmere in the GRO Indexes.

Church Records

The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Flintshire Records Office in Hawarden:

Baptisms 1675 - 1939
Marriages: 1675 - 1900
Burials 1675 - 1887
  • The Clwyd Family History Society have published many of the Bangor is y Coed parish registers.
  • There are no official records available on the IGI for Bangor is y Coed parish.

Nonconformist Church Records

 

Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 104269.

Year Parts
1841 Missing.
1851 HO107/2502 folios 458-507
1861 RG9/4279 folios 32-41 & 61-71 (Denbighshire)
1871 RG10/5651 folios 165-175 & 196-206 (Denbighshire)
1881 RG11/5510 folios 43-52 & 71-98
1891 RG12/4611 folios 38-46 & 64-88
1901

Poor Law Union

The parish of Bangor is y Coed formed part of the Wrexham Poor Law Union when it was created on 30 March 1837. The workhouse was built around 1838 off the Ruthin Road in Croesnewydd, in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
However, the parish was transferred to the neighbouring Ellesmere Poor Law Union on 30 September 1896. The workhouse for this union was in Haughton, Ellesmere. The records for the Ellesmere Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.

Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 25 June 2013, at 20:52.
  • This page has been accessed 2,174 times.