Barbados Jewish RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Barbados Jewish Records
The late Eustace M. Shilstone was a recognized scholar of Jews in Barbados. His manuscript research notes "Records of Jews in Barbados and Other Family Records," is held at the Library of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society. Pages 200 to 204, for example, identify early Jewish wills proved on the island. The collection was recently digitized through a U.S. Embassy grant. His superb work in transcribing, translating, and abstracting Jewish Synagogue monumental inscriptions is discussed in Barbados Cemeteries.
Arbell prepared a history of early Jewish refugees in Barbados and other Caribbean islands:
- Arbell, Mordechai. The Jewish Nation of the Caribbean: The Spanish-Portuguese Jewish Settlements in the Caribbean and the Guianas. Jerusalem, Israel: Gefen Publishing House, 2002/5762. FHL Collection 972.9 F2a
The HaChayim HaYehudim Jewish Photo Library website maintains online images of:
- BARBADOS, Bridgetown. Nidhe Israel Museum (Barbados Jewish Museum -- former Jewish School building), opened August 2007. (2007)
- BARBADOS, Bridgetown. Nidhe Israel Synagogue. (2007)
- BARBADOS, Christchurch. Shaare Tzedek Synagogue, Rockley New Road. (2007)
As with many other countries the records of birth, marriage and death of the Jews may be found in the records of other religions. The Barbados Church Records collection available in the FamilySearch Historical Records contains some births and deaths of the Jews. Birth records from 1830-1884 and death records from 1685-1886 are included.
Many of the available records of the Jews of Barbados have been added to the Knowles Collection: Jews of South America and the Caribbean database. More information on the Knowles Collection can be found at knowlescollection.blogspot.com,
- This page was last modified on 25 February 2015, at 03:21.
- This page has been accessed 2,214 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More