Basildon, EssexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Basildon, Essex family history and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BASILDON, a chapelry, is in the parish of Laindon, union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, and S. division of Essex, it is 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Billericay. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is a neat and substantial edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with an embattled tower surmounted by a spire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Online images are available Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office Holy Cross and St Andrew See also Basildon and Pitsea Congregational Church.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241360.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England Adapted: access date 7 May 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 03:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,836 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback