Bedfordshire Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hierarchy of Bedfordshire Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Here is the hierarchy of Church of England jurisdictions for Bedfordshire:
- Before 1837, the county consisted of 122 parishes, parts of six others (five shared with Hertfordshire and one with Northamptonshire), and three extra-parochial tracks. More parishes were created as the population expanded, especially in the cities. See a list of parishes with links to articles.
- The parishes are grouped into six deaneries (Bedford, Clapham, Dunstable, Easton, Fleete, and Shefford).
- The six deaneries constitute the Archdeaconry of Bedford.
- Before 1837, the archdeaconry was in the Diocese of Lincoln. Since 1837, it has been in the Diocese of Ely.
- The diocese is included in the Province of Canterbury.
Parish Register Indices
The Bedfordshire Family History Society has produced a CD with a cumulative index to the registers of 130 parishes through 1812 (baptisms, marriages, and burials): FHL British CD-ROM no. 2126.
Transcripts of most Bedfordshire parish registers have been published.
Copies of Records at the Family History Library
Of 154 pre-1900 parishes of Bedfordshire (including city parishes), the Genealogical Society of Utah has filmed the original parish registers for 148, or 96%. This number does not include Bishop’s Transcripts, Archdeacon Transcripts, parish chest material or other transcripts, many of which have also been microfilmed. In the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the name of a parish.
Bedfordshire Parish Chest Records available at the
Family History Library
|Bedford, St. Mary's||1827-1868|
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 1 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Genoot Library - British Isles Vital Record Index Breakdown,' Genoot, accessed 1 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:20.
- This page has been accessed 1,652 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More