Beeston, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
St Mary Beeston-next-Mileham is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. It was combined with LIttle Bittering to make Beeston-cum-Bittering and is now about 7 miles west of East Dereham.
The church is now isolated from it's congregation some two miles away, but in the 14th century it was a substantially wealthy community and the church reflects this. The present brick spire replaces the original lost in a storm in the 1870s. BEESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Litcham.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Beeston, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Beeston, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 377
Due to an error in the film header of the original microfilm for this parish made at the Norfolk record office the images appear under a waypoint Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1829-1872 are in reality 164 images of the early registers for Beeston-next-Mileham 1539-1695.
| Baptisms, 1539-1695; marriages, 1538-1685; burials, 1538-1694. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1695-1755. Baptisms, burials, 1756-1783 (includes glebe and terrier records). Baptisms, 1783-1803; marriages, 1784-1810
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2262558 Items 10 - 13
Item 10 relates to 1539-1695 although incorrectly labelled with the spurious year range 1829-1872 which years are covered in three distinct volumes of later registers on another filming.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438863.
Poor Law Unions
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on unknown dates, 6 June 1979 (numbered C/GP 14/1a (part)), 3 February 1984 (numbered C/GP 14/136), 21 July 1989 (numbered C/GP 14/137), 18 May 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/47-49, 82, 101, 104 110-113), 18 March 1976 (numbered C/GP 14/105), and 15 August 1978 (numbered C/GP 14/135).
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Beeston cum Bittering on GenUKI
Links to Articles
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 199-203. Date accessed: 29 August 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
http://www.achurchnearyou.com/beeston-next-mileham-st-mary-the-virgin/ for information about the parish
http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/beeston/beeston.htm Norfolk Churches websitehttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl Beeston-next-Mileham link to Norfolk Baptisms Project
- This page was last modified on 27 May 2015, at 11:23.
- This page has been accessed 3,082 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More