Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration,1588-1909 .
Title in the Language of the Record
- België, Antwerpen, burgerlijke stand (Dutch)
- Belgique, Anvers, registres d’état civil (French)
The collection consists of civil registration of births, marriages and deaths from the Belgian National Archives. The collection also includes marriage proclamations, marriage supplements, and some original indexes. Additional images will be added as they become available.
The events are recorded in Dutch, Flemish or French and cover the years 1588-1909
For information on the content and use of these records please see the wiki article Belgium, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration, 1588-1909.|
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Birth Records generally contain the following information:
- Birth date and place of birth
- Name of child
- If still-born, illegitimate, or twin
- Names of parents, father's occupation and their residence
- Birth place of father
- Birth place of mother
- Date and number of record
Marriage Records generally contain the following information:
- Date and Place of Event
- Name of Bride and Groom
- Residence, Marital Status, and Age
- Names of Parents
- Names of Witnesses
Death Records generally contain the following information:
- Date and Place of Death
- Name of Deceased Person
- Age or Birth Date
- Residence Place and sometimes the Place of Origin
- Cause of Death
- Marital Status
- If Married, the Name of the Spouse and sometimes the Names of Children
- Sometimes Names of Parents
- Names of Witnesses
How to Use the Record
This section provides information on how to search the collection and read the records, what to do with information once found, and what to do if no record is found.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, as well as the region in which your ancestor lived.
Search the Collection
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To browse by image:
To search the collection images, you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "Place" category
⇒Select the “Record Type" category which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Dutch, Flemish and French so you will need to be able to understand these written languages. For help with reading the records, see the wiki articles:
You may also want to see the 3 FamilySearch Tutorials on reading Dutch written records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct. There may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor, and your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times. Check for variant spellings of names.
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived nearby.
- Search the records of nearby localities (counties, parishes, etc.).
|FHL Place Belgium, Antwerpen items or FHL Keyword Belgium, Antwerpen items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Zoekakten - This website is in Dutch. It narrows down this collection by different regions and records.
- Belgium Ancestry
- Belgium Rootsweb
Related Wiki Articles
- Belgium Civil Registers
- Belgium Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Belgium Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Belgium Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Belgium Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration, 1609-1909." Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Rijksarchief te Antwerpen [Belgium National Archives].
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration, 1588-1909.|
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration, 1588-1909.|
- This page was last modified on 11 June 2015, at 20:03.
- This page has been accessed 8,453 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News