Berwick on Tweed St Mary, Northumberland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. Mary's Church, a Victorian Gothic structure, was built and consecrated in 1858 exactly 300 years after the old St. Mary's, which stood near the Scotsgate, was demolished at the time that the Elizabethan walls were constructed. St. Mary's served a fishing community which lived in the area called 'the Greens'. [The Newcastle Diocesan Gazetteer (1982), page 124.]
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/26 November 1858-April 1869 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search. The image collection has not yet been loaded to Record Search.
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
Berwick, St Mary: Records of baptisms 1858-1988 and marriages 1860-1988 are available at Northumberland Collections[] and at Berwick Record Office. Bishops' Transcripts for the period 1858-1869 are deposited at Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections, Palace Green, Durham City.
Transcripts of monumental inscriptions at Berwick St Mary (microfiche TN74) and Berwick, Holy Trinity (microfiche TN92) are published by Northumberland and Durham Family History Society and these records are apparently also available in book form at Newcastle Central Library, Local Studies Department.
- This page was last modified on 18 May 2015, at 16:07.
- This page has been accessed 372 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News