Big Horn County, WyomingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Big Horn County Wyoming genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Big Horn County, Wyoming|
Location in the state of Wyoming
Location of Wyoming in the U.S.
|Founded||March 12, 1890|
|Address|| Big Horn County Courthouse|
420 W C Street
Basin, WY 82410
Big Horn County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 12 March 1890 from Fremont, Johnson and Sheridan counties
- County Seat: Basin 
- Neighboring Counties: Big Horn County, Montana | Carbon County, Montana | Johnson | Park | Sheridan | Washakie
For tips on accessing Big Horn County, Wyoming census records online, see: Wyoming Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wyoming denominations, view the Wyoming Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Basin, Belfry, Burlington, Byron, Cody, Cowley, Greybull, Ionia, Lovell, Lovell West, Otto
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Big Horn County, Wyoming. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Wyoming Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wyoming Land and Property for additional information about early Wyoming land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Big Horn County, Wyoming newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Wyoming, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Wyoming- Albany - Probate records.
The bulk of the probate case files from the 1890's to the 1940's have been transferred to the Wyoming State Archives in Cheyenne. Check their website for additional details.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1896.
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1896.
Family History Centers
Wyoming tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
- Western States Marriage Index over 1,936 marriages 20 Jan 1897 to 13 Nov 1922
- The Big Horn WY GenWeb Project, a member of The WYGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- County Clerk
- Lookups (GenWeb)
- Family History Library Catalog
|Byron||Flitners Corner||Ionia||Meadow Lark Lake||Shell|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 766. Big Horn County, Wyoming
- This page was last modified on 4 March 2014, at 02:44.
- This page has been accessed 6,671 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More