Black Notley, EssexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Black Notley, Essex family history and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Black Notley, Essex|
|[[File::Black Notley St Peter and Paul Essex.jpg|200px]]|
:Black Notley St Peter and Paul Essex
|Poor Law Union||Braintree PLU|
|Parish registers: 1570|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
BLACK NOTLEY or NOTLEY, BLACK (St. Peter and St. Paul), is a parish, in the union of Braintree,the hundred of Witham, and N. division of Essex, it is 1½ mile (S. by E.) from Braintree. The village is near the river Brain, 1 mile NNW of Bulford railway station, and 1 3/4 miles SE of Braintree. The parish contains the hamlet of Row-Green.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241379.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: access date 7 May 2013
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: access date 7 May 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 24 June 2014, at 22:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,778 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback