Bladen County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bladen County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bladen County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Bladen County North Carolina
Courthouse Dr P O Box 247
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
reg of Deeds has b & D rec from 1914
m rec from 1893 & land rec from 1734
Clk Sup Ct has div & ct rec from 1893 & pro rec from 1734
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1800, 1893--Courthouse fires destroyed most of the court records and several land records.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Bladen. Established 1756.
- White Marsh. Established about 1765. Later located in Columbus County.
Church of England
- St. Martin's Parish. Established by 1741.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company H
:- 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company I
:- 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery,
:- 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, 2nd Company K
:- 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
:- 3rd Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, Company H
:- 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain David Callihan's Company
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Bladen County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1766-1961 - Will Books 1 to 5 (1766-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1888-1961 - Bladen County Marriage Index 1888-1961 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Bladen County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Bladen County Historical Society
P.O. Box 848
Elizabethtown, NC, 28337
Bladen County Website
Old New Hanover Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 2536
Wilmington, NC 28402-2536
Old New Hanover Genealogical Society
Mother County Genealogical Society
818 South Main Street
Bladenboro, NC 28320
Mother County genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Bladen County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- NCGenWeb: Bladen County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bladen County, North Carolina p. 506. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:319, 327. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website.
- ↑ Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 414. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 28 June 2015, at 14:28.
- This page has been accessed 13,575 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News