Brecon, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
BRECKNOCK, a borough and markettown, and the head of a union, having exclusive jurisdiction, locally in the hundreds of Merthyr, Pencelly, and Devynock, in the county of Brecknock, South Wales, 171 miles (W. by N.) from London, on the road to Milford. Brecknock is delightfully situated at the confluence of the rivers Honddû and Tarell with the Usk. There re two churches in the town. The parish of St. John the Evangelist, which includes St. Mary's chapelry and the parish of St. David. The area of the St. John's portion of the parish is 2932 acres. The church, which was the chapel of the priory founded here by Bernard Newmarch, occupies a beautiful eminence on the western bank of the river Honddû, on the north side of the town, near the Priory woods. The area of the parish of St. David is 2880 acres. The church, a small edifice of one aisle, with a tower at the west end, is situated in the suburb of Llanvaes, on the south side of the river Usk. St. Mary's chapel, which was anciently parochial, is situated in the centre of the town. In the town are two or three places of worship for Baptists, and one each for English Independents, Welsh Independents, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, English Wesleyan and Welsh Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
See Brecon orAberhonddu at Genuki.uk.org.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464300.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 548 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News