British 19th Century Surname AtlasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Display & print surname distribution maps based on the 1881 census of England, Scotland and Wales.
The Surname Atlas compact disc by Archer Software displays maps showing the historical distributions of all surnames and given names found in the 1881 census of England, Scotland and Wales.
Data from the maps can be plotted by county in Scotland and by county or poor law union for England and Wales. By producing a chart of surname origins for a poor law union the location of surnames can be narrowed down to a few parishes.
- The distribution of the surname for a colonial immigrant to America can provide clues to what part of England, Scotland or Wales a person may have come from.
- Check the possibility that a family migrated from another part of the British Isles. This may be inferred when birth or christening information can not be found for a person in the area where they married, raised their family and died. Search the surname atlas for the name you are searching and also use information for variant spellings.
Where to find it
- The Surname Atlas is available for purchase from Archer Software at Archer Software
- Archer SoftwareThe Family History Library in Salt Lake City has the program available on their patron computers.
- Surname Atlas (version 1.20) is also available from the Guild of One-Name Studies at One Name.org One Name and members of the Guild can purchase it via the members room at a discounted rate.
- This page was last modified on 21 September 2015, at 12:58.
- This page has been accessed 4,508 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News