Bruton, Somerset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bruton, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wincanton|
|Parish registers: 1554|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1594|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
BRUTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Bruton, E. division of Somerset, 12 miles (S. E.) from Wells, and 110 miles (W. by S.) from London; including the chapelry of Wyke-Champflower, the tything of Redlynch, and part of Discove. There is a chapel at Wyke-Champflower, and another at Redlynch; and the Independents have a place of worship.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bruton, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BRUTON PARISH Online Records|
Church records on microfilm
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474606.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 14 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 30 April 2015, at 00:26.
- This page has been accessed 8,419 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News