Brynmawr, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
LLANELLY, a parish, in the union and hundred of Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Abergavenny, on the road to Merthyr-Tydvil; composed of the hamlets of Aberbaidon and Maesgwartha. It is divided into two nearly equal parts by the river Clydach, a mountain torrent, which, descending with impetuosity along a deep channel obstructed by rocks, forms some picturesque falls in its course through the parish. The scenery is diversified, combining features of romantic grandeur and enchanting beauty. The church, dedicated to St. Elliw, a small ancient structure in the early style of English architecture, with a low massive tower. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Calvinistic Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans; the total number of the meeting-houses is about fifteen.
Also known as Llanelly or Llanelli. For more information, see Llanelli, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 348 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More