Buena Vista County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Buena Vista County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Buena Vista County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||November 20, 1851|
|County Seat||Storm Lake|
|Address|| Buena Vista County Courthouse|
215 E. 5th St.
P. O. Box 1186
Storm Lake, IA 50588-1186
Phone: (712) 749-2546
Buena Vista County Courthouse
215 E. 5th St.
P. O. Box 1186
Storm Lake, IA 50588-1186
1851--Buena Vista County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Woodbury County prior to organization 20 November 1858. County seat: Storm Lake 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
January 1, 1877-- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Gravestone pictures I have in my collection (e-mail me). Barnes Township Cemetery Buena Vista Memorial Park Cemetery, Cooke Cemetery, Daily Burial Ground, Elk Cemetery, Fairfield Cemetery, First M E Church Cemetery,Garton Graveyard,Hayes Township Cemetery, Lincoln Township Cemetery, Little Sioux Valley Cemetery, Lone Tree Cemetery,Maple Valley Cemetery, Newell Catholic Cemetery, Newell Cemetery,Plainview Cemetery,Poland Cemetery,Saint John's Cemetery, Saint John's Lutheran Cemetery, Saint Johns Church Of Christ Cemetery, Saint Joseph's Cemetery, Saint Mary's Cemetery, Scandinavian Cemetery, Smith Cemetery, Storm Lake Municipal Cemetery, Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, Varina Cemetery, Woodlawn Cemetery, Zion Lutheran Cemetery I will look up any gravestone from the list. Please provide full name, cemetery and DOD if possible.
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Buena Vista County
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Buena Vista County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Linn Grove
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Linn Grove, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Buena Vista County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Buena Vista - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
Centers in Buena Vista County, Iowa: (If no centers are listed, see Neighboring Counties)
- Buena Vista County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Family History Library Catalog
- Buena Vista County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Links to Iowa-related articles
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
TopicsSearch Strategies · Record Selection Table · American Indians · Archives and Libraries · Bible Records · Biography · Cemeteries · Census · Church Records · Court Records · Directories · Divorce Records · Emigration and Immigration · Gazetteers · Genealogy · Historical Geography · History · Land and Property · Maps · Military Records · Minorities · Naturalization and Citizenship · Newspapers · Obituaries · Online Records · Periodicals · Probate Records · Public Records · Schools · Societies · Taxation · Vital Records · Voting Registers · Other Records · For Further Reading CountiesAdair · Adams · Allamakee · Appanoose · Audubon · Benton · Black Hawk · Boone · Bremer · Buchanan · Buena Vista · Butler · Calhoun · Carroll · Cass · Cedar · Cerro Gordo · Cherokee · Chickasaw · Clarke · Clay · Clayton · Clinton · Crawford · Dallas · Davis · Decatur · Delaware · Des Moines · Dickinson · Dubuque · Emmet · Fayette · Floyd · Franklin · Fremont · Greene · Grundy · Guthrie · Hamilton · Hancock · Hardin · Harrison · Henry · Howard · Humboldt · Ida · Iowa · Jackson · Jasper · Jefferson · Johnson · Jones · Keokuk · Kossuth · Lee · Linn · Louisa · Lucas · Lyon · Madison · Mahaska · Marion · Marshall · Mills · Mitchell · Monona · Monroe · Montgomery · Muscatine · O'Brien · Osceola · Page · Palo Alto · Plymouth · Pocahontas · Polk · Pottawattamie · Poweshiek · Ringgold · Sac · Scott · Shelby · Sioux · Story · Tama · Taylor · Union · Van Buren · Wapello · Warren · Washington · Wayne · Webster · Winnebago · Winneshiek · Woodbury · Worth · Wright Extinct Co. Major
- This page was last modified on 3 April 2014, at 02:10.
- This page has been accessed 6,833 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback