Cabot, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cabot was chartered on August 17, 1871 by the Vermont State Legislature. Cabot started out as an army town. When the town was officially organized, eight years after the chartering, six out of seven people elected to fill town offices had been commissioned Continental Army officers (the odd civilian was elected to the office of highway surveyor).
It has been said that a man could live in Cabot for seventy-five years and have been a resident of four counties without ever leaving his place of birth. The town has been successively part of the Vermont counties of Cumberland, Orange, Caledonia and, since 1855, Washington.
Cabot did have what the proprietors of every town hoped for: good farm lands, plenty of mill sites and no excessively high hills. At first the town grew quite rapidly, then after the Civil War it started to decline. The population at the 2010 US. Census was 1,433.  
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Cabot is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Cabot. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Cabot Plains Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Cabot Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Durant Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- East Cabot Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- South Cabot Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Hill Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1857-1998, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Vermont, Washington County, Cabot, land records, 1852-1904, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Cabot Town Clerk's Office. These include Births, marriages & deaths records, v. 1, 1764-1881, and Deeds, 1788-1852.
Cabot Town Clerk
3084 Main St.
PO Box 36
Cabot, VT 05647
Phone: (802) 563-2279
Libraries and Historical Societies
Cabot Public Library
3084 Main St.
Cabot, VT 05647
Phone: (802) 563-2721
Cabot Historical Society
3216 Main Street
P. O. Box 275
Cabot, Vermont 05647
- ↑ About Cabot, VT - Virtual Vermont Magazine - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/cabot.html#about
- ↑ Town of Cabot, Vermont, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WashingtonCabot.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:38.
- This page has been accessed 571 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More