Caernarfon, Gwynedd GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In 1868: "CARNARVON, (or Caernarvon), a market town, port, municipal and parliamentary borough, in the parish of Llanbeblig, hundred of Is-Gorfai, in the county of Carnarvon, of which it is the chief town. It is 235 miles to the N.W. of London by road, or 240 miles by railway... Carnarvon is pleasantly situated on the E. side of the Menai Strait, where the river Seiont falls into it. Close by is the site of the Roman station Segontium, the most important in North Wales, and which was also named Caer Custeint, or "fort of Constantine," and Caer-yn-Arvon, from its situation opposite to Mona, the Isle of Anglesey. Watling Street connected Segontium with Deva (Chester)." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
For more information on Caernarfon see Genuiki
|circa 1536 - 31 March 1974||Caernarfonshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Gwynedd|
|from 1 April 1996||Gwynedd|
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,073 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News