Cahuilla IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cahuilla Band of Mission Indians
P. O. Box 391760
Anza, CA 92539-1760
1774: contact with Spanish colonizers
1822: During the Mexican Revolution, Mexico took the Mission land from Spain
1848: United States took control of California
1849: Gold Rush
1863: Smallpox epidemic, kills many
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Bands of the Cahuilla Tribe and Their Reservations
Agua Caliente Band -- Agua Caliente Reservation
Augustine Band -- Augustine Reservation
Cabazon Band -- Cabazon Reservation
Cahuilla Band -- Cahuilla Reservation
Los Coyotes Band -- Los Coyotes Reservation
Morongo Band -- Morongo Reservation
Ramona Band or Village -- Ramona Rancheria
Santa Rosa Band -- Santa Rosa Reservation
Torres-Martinez Band -- Torres-Martinez Reservation
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Agua Caliente Band of Mission Indians California, Adopted June 28, 1955, Amended February 26, 1957,
- Agua Caliente Band web site -- includes history and government
- Cahuilla Indians Wikipedia
For Further Reading
- California Indians and Their Reservations: An Online Dictionary. Available online.
See For Further Reading.
- Bean, Lowell John. The Cahuilla Indians of Southern California, Their History and Culture. Banning, Ca. Maueum Press, 1975. FHL Book 970.1 Al #82
- This page was last modified on 3 August 2015, at 19:03.
- This page has been accessed 4,517 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News