Calais, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The township was granted to Col. Jacob Davis, who was the first settler of Montpelier, to Stephen Fay and to sixty-eight other men was on Oct. 21, 1780 by the Vermont State Legislature convening at Arlington, Vermont. The charter was granted on August 15, 1781 which is the real and actual date of the birth of the town of Calais after the fee for granting the township was paid in full to the Legislature.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Calais is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Calais. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Ainsworth Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Fairview Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Robinson Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Short Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1746-1944, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
Vermont, Washington County, Calais, land records, 1850-1903, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Calais Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1857-1944; indexes of births, marriages, deaths, 1742-1950, and Deeds, 1790-1853.
Calais Town Clerk
3120 Pekin Brook Rd.
East Calais, VT 05650
Phone: (802) 456-8720
Libraries and Historical Societies
- ↑ History of Calais by Dorman B. E. Kent - http://www.vt-roots.org/index.php/20-washington-county/126-history-of-calais-vt-part-one
- ↑ Town of Calais, Vermont, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WashingtonCalais.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:38.
- This page has been accessed 1,062 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News