Caledonia County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Caledonia County, Vermont ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caledonia County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||November 5, 1792|
|County Seat||Saint Johnsbury|
|Address|| Caledonia County Courthouse|
Mailing: P.O. Box 4129
Saint Johnsbury , VT 05819
27 Main Street, St. Johnsbury, VT
Caledonia County Website
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial and land records; County Clerk has divorce and court records from from 1797; Probate Judge has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
St. Johnsbury 1785,
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
Emigration and Immigration
- Jeffrey, William H. Successful Vermonters; a modern gazetteer of Caledonia, Essex, and Orleans Counties. East Burke, Vermont, The Historical Publishing Company, 1904. Internet Archives.
- Child, Hamilton Gazetteer of Caledonia and Essex Counties, Vt. 1764-1887. Caledonia County, Vermont, Syracuse Journal Company, Printers and Binders, 1887. Google Books.
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Regiments and Companies:
- - 4th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, Companies G and H
The Caledonian : (St. Johnsbury, Vermont) 1837-1867, A.G. Chadwick. Dates of publication:1837-1867. Published weekly.
St. Johnsbury Caledonian. (St. Johnsbury, Vermont) 1867-1919. C.M. Stone & Co. Dates of publication:1867-1919. Published weekly.
Online Probate Records
- 1749 – 1999 Vermont Wills and Probate Records 1749-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1800 – 1921 Vermont Probate Files 1800-1921 at FamilySearch — images
- Birth Certificate,
- Marriage Certificate ,
- Divorce Certificate,
- Civil Union Dissolution Certificate, or
- Death Certificate
Downloadable applications from Vermont Department of Health.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Barnet Historical Society
26 Goodwillie Road
Barnet Center, VT
Mailing Address: 802 Warden Road
Barnet, VT 05821
Phone: (802) 633-2325
Burke Historical Society
White School House Museum
East Burke, VT
c/o Burke Mountain Club, PO Box 309,
East Burke, VT 05832
Phone: (802) 626-9823
Groton Historical Society
Peter Paul 1840 House
1203 Scott Highway
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 89
Groton, VT 05046
Phone: (802) 584-3417
Hardwick Historical Society
Depot Street (off Church Street behind Town House)
Mailing Address: PO Box 177
Hardwick, VT 05843
Phone: (802) 472-8555
Peacham Historical Association
153 Church Street
Asbel Goodenough Blacksmith Shop
101 Church Street
Peacham Hollow Schoolhouse
Archives & Reference Library
643 Bayley-Hazen Road
Mailing Address: PO Box 101
Peacham, VT 05862
Ryegate Historical Society
54 Paper Mill Road
East Ryegate, VT
Mailing Address: 3158 N. Bayley Hazen Rd
East Ryegate, VT 05402
Email:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (802) 592-3378
Saint Johnsbury History & Heritage Center
Lower Level of the former Summer Street School
481 Summer Street
St. Johnsbury, VT
Mailing Address: PO Box 223
St. Johnsbury, VT05819
Phone: (802) 424-1090
Sheffield Historical Society
37 Dane Road
Mailing Address: PO Box 75
Sheffield, VT 05866
Phone: (802) 626-9416
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Caledonia County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Caledonia County VTGenWeb Project, part of The VTGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caledonia County, Vermont, 698. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 394. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2016, at 01:50.
- This page has been accessed 13,668 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News