Canada, Census 1871 (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records (56000).
Question #1: Some family members are not listed with the family unit or household in the record detail page. How can I find all the family members?
Answer #1: To work around the problem, search by last name and residence or event place. On the record detail page, compare the Line Number and Family Number. To refine the search, include the Film Number. Families are grouped sequentially on the same image or an adjacent image.
Question #2: Some indexed records have name, event place or date errors. How can I determine the correct information?
Answer #2: View the document to verify the correct information. The event place and date can also be checked by searching the Catalog using the film number included in the record detail page. See Finding microfilm numbers in the catalog (55632). A list of known problems below provides correct indexing information:
- Birthplace fields include a country or province. Single letters or initials represent provinces in Canada:
- A - Alberta
- B - British Columbia
- L - Labrador
- M - Manitoba
- N B - New Brunswick
- N OR N F - Newfoundland
- N S - Nova Scotia
- O - Ontario
- P - Prince Edward Island
- Q - Quebec
- S - Saskatchewan
- Record detail pages listing Digital Folder Number: 4396337: The correct Residence or Event Place is Ontario, not Nova Scotia. The correct GS Film number is 2230907.
If additional problems are encountered with the collection, you can report them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If searching the collection: please include the name of the collection, and all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- For technical issues: please include operating system and browser version.
Return to the Canada, Census 1871 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Canada Census, 1871 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 6 July 2015, at 22:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,780 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News