Canvey Island, Essex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Canvey Island, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Canvey Island, Essex|
Former St Katharine Canvey Island contributor Ron Galliers
|Poor Law Union||Rochford PLU|
|Registration District||Billericay; Rochford|
|Parish registers: 1819|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
CANVEY ISLAND, is a chapelry, partly in the parishes ofNorth and South Benfleet, BowersGifford, Laindon, Pitsea, and Vange, in the union of Billericay, the hundred of Barstable, and partly in the parishes of Leigh, Prettlewell, and Southchurch, which are in the union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex: the chapel is 6¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Leigh. This island is situated near the mouth of the Thames, . the chapel is dedicated to St. Catherine.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Rochford Poor Law Union, Essex 1880 onwards
Orsett Poor Law Union, Essex 1837-1880
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Canvey Island on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: Date Accessed 10 May 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- This page was last modified on 3 April 2015, at 15:05.
- This page has been accessed 3,956 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More