Cheltenham England Family History CentreEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Cheltenham Family History Centre serves the public and LDS church units in Cheltenham and Gloucester plus all other church units in the LDS Cheltenham Stake that do not have their own Family History Centre.
Centre Contacts and Hours
- Thirlestaine Road Cheltenham Gloucestershire England GL53 7AS United Kingdom
- Church car park will be open during opening hours.
- Use the entrance at the car park side towards the rear of the building.
- 44 0 124-252 3433
- 1st and 2nd Wednesday of each month 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
Wednesday evenings may be booked in co-operation with local LDS ward family history consultants - call Stewart Millar to arrange - 07908 472506 / email@example.com
- Closed - 1 August - 2 September and 3 December - 6 January 2015
Calendar and Events
Any of the following topics can be selected for booking a session at the FHC:
1. Understanding the Search facilities of FamilySearch and the partner web sites.
2. Adding photos & stories to Family Tree.
3. Preparing and creating documents that can be added to Family Tree.
4. Adding sources found in FamilySearch records to Family Tree.
5. Creating and adding your own sources to Family Tree.
6. Ways in which youth can help their own and other ward families – census/BMD searching, scanning, adding photos, sources, stories.
7. Useful additional software – image editing, word processing, pdf printers/viewers, screen capture etc.
8. Different ways of keeping a backup of your Family Tree data and sources.
9. How to start your family history.
10. Finding duplicates in Family Tree and understanding the merge process.
11. Understanding the temple list and submission process in Family Tree.
12. Understanding the Family Tree Source Box.
13. Editing, correcting and adding new data to Family Tree.
14. Research methodology for the first 200 years of English & Welsh family history.
15. Any family history topic of your own choice.
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal
These include: Ancestry, FindMyPast and the 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive plus other significant web sites.
- FamilySearch Record Collections -worldwide over 1,600 collections and 3.5 billion indexed names.
- FHC Portal
Hardware and Equipment
- Four computers with access to the FHC Portal.
- Scanner for scanning source documents and photographs.
- Two Microfilm Readers
- One Fiche Reader
Staff Research Specialties
- England Wales research to 1700s.
- Use of FamilySearch Family Tree integrated with sources, photos, stories and documents.
Resources in the Local Area
Gloucestershire Family History Society
- Gloucestershire Family History Society
Family History Centre
Telephone: 01452 524344
- Clarence Row
Telephone:44 (0) 1452 425295
Volunteer at the Centre
Ideally require volunteers with good IT skills and a keen interest in family history.
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2016, at 04:33.
- This page has been accessed 2,304 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News