Cherokee County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cherokee County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records
|Cherokee County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Cherokee County Courthouse|
110 W. Maple Street
Columbus, Kansas 66725-0014
Cherokee County Courthouse
110 W. Maple
Columbus, KS 66725
Formerly McGee Co. Name changed to Cherokee 18 Feb 1860
Register of Deeds has land records from 1866,
Probate Court has probate records from 1870.
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records. 
1855--Cherokee County was created 30 August 1855 from unorganized territory. County seat: Columbus 
- Craig County, Oklahoma
- Jasper County, Missouri
- Newton County, Missouri
- Ottawa County, Oklahoma
- Family Biographies from Cherokee County, Kansas (1883) from History of Kansas By William G. Cutler and published by A. T. Andreas are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Map of Cherokee County townships (Histopolis)
- Township Map of 1887 Cherokee County, Kansas with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Cherokee County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kansas
- Cherokee County was organized after the Civil War.
Men from this County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin, Missouri newspapers and Neosho, Missouri newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Cherokee County communities.
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Cherokee and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Biographies from The History of Cherokee County, Kansas (1883) published by A. T. Andreas are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, Kansas 249 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:31.
- This page has been accessed 10,923 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More