Chignall St James, Essex GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chignall St James, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chignall St James, Essex|
St. James; Chignall St. James Essex.
|Poor Law Union||Chelmsford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1724|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1801|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Chignal St. James, or Great Chignal, is a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; it is on an affluent of the river Chelmer, 3 miles NW of Chelmsford.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chignall St James, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Chignall St James, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The benefice of Mashbury, Essex was united in 1766 with that of Chignal St James,( Essex Record Office D/P 291). The church at Mashbury became redundant in 1986 and its records are reference D/P 352 at Essex Record Office.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241364.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Chignall St James on GENUKI
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: Date Accessed 10 May 2013
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- ↑ Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- ↑ 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- ↑ Batch C041851, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch M041851, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- This page was last modified on 4 June 2015, at 14:34.
- This page has been accessed 3,701 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News