Chippewa County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Chippewa County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chippewa County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1862|
|Address|| Chippewa County Courthouse|
629 North 11th Street
Montevideo, MN 56265
Phone: 320-269-7774 (Administrator)
Chippewa County Website
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage, divorce, probate and court records from 1870,
County Recorder has land records from 1870.
City Clerks have burial records. 
1862--Chippewa County was created 20 February 1862 from Pierce, Eliminated 20 Feb 1862, and Davis, Eliminated 20 Feb 1862, Counties. County seat: Montevideo 
- For a brief history of how Chippewa County was name, click here. Then select Chippewa County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Big Bend Township | Crate Township | Grace Township | Granite Falls Township | Havelock Township | Kragero Township | Leenthrop Township | Lone Tree Township | Louriston Township | Mandt Township | Rheiderland Township | Rosewood Township | Sparta Township | Stoneham Township | Tunsberg Township | Woods Township
- Records of Granite Falls Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Milan, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Montevideo, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Local histories are available for Chippewa County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Chippewa County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Chippewa County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Chippewa County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Chippewa County, MNGenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Chippewa County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chippewa County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 6 April 2015, at 19:55.
- This page has been accessed 9,098 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More