Clay County, Minnesota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clay County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 18, 1858|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
807 11th Street North
Moorhead, MN 56560
Phone: 218-299-5002 (Administration)
Clay County Website
County Recorder has birth, marriage, death and land records
from 1872 and military records from 1917.
Court Administration has divorce and court records from 1931
and probate records from from 1885. 
1858--Clay County was created 18 March 1858 from Pembina (Old) County.
County seat: Moorhead 
- For a brief history of how Clay County was named, click here, then select Clay County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Alliance Township | Barnesville Township | Cromwell Township | Eglon Township | Elkton Township | Elmwood Township | Felton Township | Flowing Township | Georgetown Township | Glyndon Township | Goose Prairie Township | Hagen Township | Hawley Township | Highland Grove Township | Holy Cross Township | Humboldt Township | Keene Township | Kragnes Township | Kurtz Township | Moland Township | Moorhead Township | Morken Township | Oakport Township | Parke Township | Riverton Township | Skree Township | Spring Prairie Township | Tansem Township | Ulen Township | Viding Township
Baker | Dale | Downer | Kragnes | Muskoda | Rollag | Winnipeg Junction
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Clay County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Dillworth Lutheran Church
- Records of Dillworth Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Hawley, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Barnesville
- Records of Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Barnesville, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Moorhead
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Moorhead, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Ulen, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Clay – LAND AND PROPERTY
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Local histories are available for Clay County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Biographies of Clay and Norman County, Minnesota 1918 Online biographical sketches of Clay and Norman county residents taken from the book A History of Clay and Norman Counties, Minnesota Vol. 2, pub. by B. F. Bowen and Co.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clay County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Clay County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Clay County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Clay County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Clay County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clay County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:14.
- This page has been accessed 11,028 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More