Colby, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
COLBY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Aylsham. 
Colby St Giles is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich and a mediaeval church.
The name of the village derives from the translated from Old Norse as farmstead or village of a man called Koli.
Colby is a village and a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk .The village is 8.6 miles (13.8 km) south of Cromer, 16.8 miles (27.0 km) north-north-west of Norwich, 5.2 miles (8.4 km) west-north-west of North Walsham and 131 miles (211 km) north-east of London.
For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Aylsham 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Colby, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Colby, Norfolk Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Images of the parish register for this parish are available at FamilySearch Historical Records The images displayed are only partial loading of images available and further image loading by engineers is awaited.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 398/ 1-6
Parish registers of Colby, 1552-1904 Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD398/1-7, 40-41(S).
In 1552-1630 and 1668-1728, the records were kept in Latin.
General registers of baptisms, 1552-1751, and marriages and burials, 1552-1748; Baptisms and burials, 1749-1812, population statistics, marriages, 1749-1754; Baptisms, 1813-1904; Marriages, 1755-1812, banns, 1755-1822; Marriages, 1813-1837. FHL BRITISH Film 2149665 Items 8 - 13
Marriages, 1837-1901; Burials, 1813-1902; Banns, 1825-1904. FHL BRITISH Film 2149666 Items 1 - 3
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1600-1610, 1623-1630, 1665-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526779 Item 13
a. Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Colby on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Visitor Info
- [http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/colby/colby.htm Colby[ on Norfolk Churches website
- British History online
- This page was last modified on 5 March 2014, at 03:20.
- This page has been accessed 759 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More