Columbus County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Columbus County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbus County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Columbus County Courthouse
612 North Madison Street
Whiteville, NC 28472
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage records from 1867 and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1868
prorobate records from 1817
Register of Deeds
PO Box 1086
Whiteville, NC. 28472
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 1587
Whiteville, NC 28472
Telephone: (910) 641-4400
Columbus County was named for Christopher Columbus. It was formed in 1808 from land that was originally part of Bladen and Brunswick Counties. Bordering counties are Brunswick, Pender, Bladen, Robeson, Dillon County, SC and Horry County, SC.
The county has several important geographical features including Lake Waccamaw, the largest natural lake between New York and Florida, the Waccamaw and Lumber Rivers which link this area to South Carolina and the coastal town of Georgetown, and the Cape Fear River which provides access to the port city of Wilmington.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Columbus County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Tabor City Branch
- Whiteville Branch
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
Register of Deeds
125 Washington St. Suite B
P.O. Box 1086
Whiteville, NC 28472
Phone: (910) 640-6625
The Register of Deeds Office records all land transactions, birth, deaths, and marriages that occur in Columbus County.
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company B
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain David Callihan's Company
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 – 1790 North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665 - 1998 North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 – 1800 North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1808-1908 - Will Books (1808-1908) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
County records are available from the Columbus County Register of Deeds. Uncertified copies of records are $.25.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762–1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1762-1979 - North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- 1799-1893 - Columbus County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1850s-1900 - Columbus County Marriages 1850s-1900 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1851-1967 - Columbus County Marriage Index 1851-1967 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741-2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759-1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Misc. Columbus County Deaths - on the Columbus County NCGenWeb site
- Columbus County Obituaries - contributed to the NCGenWeb Archives Project
- Columbus County Deaths - contributed to the NCGenWeb Archives Project
- Columbus County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- Columbus County Coroners' Inquest, 1914-1968, 1981 - from the NC State Archives.
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Columbus County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- NCGenWeb Columbus County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbus County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at archive.org; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:319, 326. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 16 November 2015, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 14,572 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News