Community Wiki Support Meeting 13 February 2014Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

WebEx ID: 997 636 893; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: Local / International: 1-801-240-9700 U.S. Toll-Free: 1-855-537-4000; 9:00' am. Mountain time on Thursdays'

  • You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.

Purpose of the meeting

Improve the Wiki

  • Forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • Share best practices, ideas, and content.
  • Discuss current issues, community matters, and strategies.
  • Move issues to decision.


Contents

Kudos go to ...

  • Thank you to Rick for posts about RootsTech

.Roots Tech is online – don’t miss Ron Tanner’s session on Friday afternoon.

Priority items for this meeting:

  • Adoption Program: We need volunteers to check for adopters on Adoption Pages (1st step check history of page)

Robin presented the need for someone to manage the Adopter program.
She made a spreadsheet to show the information for the adopting organizations, which among other things, shows the adoption date. With that date, you can check the page history to see who worked on the page at the time of adoption.
New volunteer should email the adopting organization and possibly this person. who edited the page. If no answer, post on the talk page the question of who the current contributor is.
Find out: Are they still contributing to the wiki, and who is the contact person?
Florida has been adopted as a state and each county has been adopted.
Robin says we need to track what’s going on; we need current email and contributor user name and we need an Adoption Program Chair. Diana volunteered.
Marilyn asked what our priorities are. Answer: Patrolling is our highest priority.

  • Check for page stubs on completed pages. They are way at the bottom. Remove them from completed pages. Sandra has a way for us to track all the stubs. Thank you Diana and all who helped with this.

Stub project is progressing. Sandra found a way to easily locate pages with stubs, but raised the question that perhaps these stub templates guide volunteers to where help is needed. We will not remove any more stubs until we have a coordinator.

US county seat pages were suggested. Many resources are located in the county seat, or in the important cities in a county. Charles and Sandra will work on a city template, using Robin’s Columbia, South Carolina page as a guide. Robin pointed out that users did not like the italicized text on the FHC templates – the guides to what should be on the page did not help the regular user. The template should have empty headers so that they could recruit local volunteers to fill in the information. Diana asked that they omit Colorado, because she is recruiting local genealogical societies. Robin asked if we need a moderator for county seat stubs.

Wilma and James Tanner raised the issue of necessity. Wilma does not want to check many pages for important information, and James pointed out that many rural counties don’t have information that would be supplemental to that on the county page itself.

  • Look and feel project: Giuseppe showed a wiki main page prototype that resembles the main FS page. However nice Charles’ tabs or Caleb’s highlighted project ideas are, I suspect that we get to look like the main FS page. Wilma said it gave a computer sense, rather than a genealogical sense, and Giuseppe agreed, saying that a computer guy created it. Charles suggested that the featured picture should be of a family, not an open dictionary.

The page prototype loses the purple sidebar on the right. No substitute for the many functions of that sidebar has been shown, but Sandra and others want easy access to those functions. Search engine function was discussed. Right now, many pages show html code in the search field, and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) text needs to be at the top of the page to prevent that. Adding a direct link to the wiki from the main page was discussed. Making our wiki look like Wikipedia was discussed, but we have different functions.

  • Uploading maps - Wilma asked for rapid approval of maps. She is having two to four missionaries upload a number of maps for use on the wiki, and hopes that each map can be quickly approved for use. She will email Robin when she is ready for this next week.

  • Policy for communicating for missionaries and contributors:
Until Salesforce community is actually implemented, we will be using Yammer for our missionaries and contributors. We should use Skype more for immediate assistance and conversation for those who like it, but for building discussions over time, upload documents etc, we should use Yammer (and Google when is better). But even when we use Google, we could always have a note on Yammer with links to a list of Google documents we normally use. - Giuseppe
  • Please use the Wiki Social Chat for all messages that are not about projects, patrolling, meetings, missionary work, tech issues, etc. Keeping comments that are on other topics on the Wiki Social Chat will keep everyone in the Wiki Support Missionary chat from having to scroll through messages that are not work related.
  • If time permits, please share what you learned from attending RootsTech

Updates and follow up

  • Needed training: 

Training/new missionaries & Volunteers
  • Maintenance Report - Sandra
Stub Update Project use the following page to fine the stub Stubs by Area
  • Tech updates

Patrolling and Amdocs Review

  • Did you see anything while patrolling this past week that would be interesting to discuss with the team?
  1. See what is being touched.
  2. Catch potential attacks

Assignments

  • What did you learn this week that you want to share?
  • What do you need help with?
  • Do you have questions or suggestions regarding others are working on?
  • Moderator Support report

Myra will report for Moderator Committee and get feedback on enrichment for intermediate moderators. We need volunteers for this committee.

For next week:

  • New Contributor Support report:  

Locality & topics

Team Member Support Assignments Content Project User Name
Barbara Welcoming Committee
RogersBA
Blake Volunteers, Overviews, Graphics

Charles Non-English wiki, FHC Pages Thurston County - FamilySearch Catalog, York County Ccsmith
Diana
Colorado, Kentucky Diana47judy
LaVera Welcoming Committe new people, Categories Help pages project-slow but steady. Parrisl
Lee Developing Training - Non-English, Tech Non-English, Tech Training, SF Development Ldrew
Linda New volunteers Submit Content to the Wiki Lindachappell
Marilyn Welcoming Committee

Mark Volunteers England Articles Mlyandle
Myra Moderators
Myrasueharris
Rick Volunteers

Robin Volunteers, Moderators, Training Lessons for New Volunteers South Carolina Moderator, contributing to African American Research and Columbia, South Carolina SavingStories




Sandra Maintenance Training Categorization Sandralpond

Supervisor Training or Updates

Giuseppe


Caleb


Improve the Wiki


Wiki Project



 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 17:14.
  • This page has been accessed 536 times.