Community Wiki Support Meeting 15 November 2012Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
MeetingPlace ID: 3232; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: 877-453-7266 9:30 am. Mountain time on Thursdays
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
- Prior to joining the meeting for the first time, run the MeetingPlace Test to verify that you can participate in a web meeting.
Introduce new members
Kudos go to ...
Updates and follow up
Maintenance report - Sandra
Blogs to follow, etc. - Lee
Improve the Wiki
If our team were being hired today to improve the Wiki, with no barriers - what would the best experience look like for patrons? What would be needed for a flawless performance? What are the really big things we could do?
- Use of case studies
- Templates for locations - show distinct paths to get the information for each locale - content would be variable
- Instructions for the research that's needed to find an ancestor - with ancestor on the other side of the page. Right side is populated from FS.org, Tree, etc. Interactive, so that when you're through you have success for that ancestor and you can download that. Good example is Legacy Research Guidance.
- Copy and tool to copy from the Wiki with a checklist that you could use as you do the steps
- Would Legacy, Rootsweb, etc. add a button to their tools to link them to the Wiki? (Lee is talking to some of those programs now) (See Lee's site for poll on what programs are the most popular)
- No technical problems with log-in's, etc.
- Available 24 hours a day with no interruptions
- We need a page design that detects a tablet and gives option to work on a tablet or mobile device. Ideal situation would allow us to use a mobile device to do indexing, use the Wiki, etc. for the FS products.
- Tablet users of all ages need to have access to all the programs and once converted to a tablet, will not use a PC as they have in the past.
For 2013? How would we start?
- The Wiki would be more recognized - more support from others
- Link to the Wiki on FS.org
- Better advertisement- drive traffic to Wiki
- A General Authority would talk about the Wiki at Gen. Conference
- Pages for Family History centers would be great so that the directors would get excited
What things do we want to see to make it better - that we can do.
- Continue making it easier for the beginners - while we continue to draw in the experienced user
- Make digital collections more prominent on state pages and add to the main page
- Interactive map on home pages that will link to digital collections
- New home page
- Lesson on researching on Wiki (Lee)
- Classes at genealogy conferences
- Unconferencing session on Wiki at Rootstech - collaborative sessions to solve a problem. We would need to come up with a good topic.
- Create more video's that will help people with their research, etc. Tie them to the Wiki where they have questions on what to do next
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2012, at 17:21.
- This page has been accessed 446 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News