Community Wiki Support Meeting 23 January 2014Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WebEx ID: 997 636 893; Join the meeting; Dial-in number: Local / International: 1-801-240-9700 U.S. Toll-Free: 1-855-537-4000; 9:00' am. Mountain time on Thursdays'
- You can join up to 10 minutes early. If you try to join the meeting at any other time, you will get an error that the meeting doesn't exist.
Kudos go to ...
Priority items for this meeting:
- 2014 Supporting Active Users spreadsheet
- Spreadsheet is for active users over the last 30 days. Special:ActiveUser (Wiki page)Tabs across bottom divides alphabetically
- later columns in spreadsheet have assignments, notes, etc.- include things that might have gotten by patrolling. Robin looking for someone to voluteer to help on this page - reviewing possible problems Robin comes across.
- When finish patrolling, take time to go to 2014 Supporting Active Users spreadsheet- and look for "pink" background in J column - if you can fix that issue, change background to green
- Feb 10th after Html class - will go over new contrib/welcoming/etc - meeting- dates welcomed is also on spreadsheet
- FHC pages - confusion about whether to touch, ... as to the "looks" we can help, fix formatting, Explain on talk page what we did. If FHC complains to loudly, bring to Guisseppe or Caleb's attention. DO NOT add content. Perhaps a "Editing" training video about the Wiki for FHC consultants.
- FireFox will import your Chrome bookmarks
- you may have to uninstall and reinstall. Robin will be checking with Warren (he is in the tech meeting's Thurs afternoons) about the Chrome fix
- IE destroys formating on page
- Tab ideas for Wiki
- Charles shows his ideas - topics and languages. User:Ccsmith/sandbox/tab
- (Charles') new to genealogy , new to wiki. search by location, search by topic, build the Wiki
- looking at movement of sidebars. To get rid of Right sidebar, but <div> tag at top of page, with no closing <div>
- (Caleb) Banner at the top. Ancestry and Wikipedia also have tabs above the "banner"
- clickable map, still with search bar, and possible tabs as well. Indexing (Joy Bogar knows what software is being used) uses clickable maps. The question would be could it be used in FS Wiki? Joy makes image with clickability and then puts it on the page.
- Joy fixes image with powerpoint. The clickable part is easy. The image is put on wiki first - put in on the way you want to see it. The process is time consuming (not the clickable). Software she uses is sent to Robin and she can forward as needed. Charles can teach how to use in HTML class
- famillysearch.org/indexing uses clickable map
- Roots Tech starts Feb 8th. Can we pull stuff together that quickly?
- Main page is not always seen for instance, indexers.
Updates and follow up
Summary of last week's meeting
Summary of January 16th Support Meeting
• Common Wiki Fixes https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/User:Ccsmith/sandbox/Common_Wiki_Fixes – keep page updated while working
• Wikitext not saving changes that can be seen in RichEditor. Charles to discuss at Tech Meeting
• Guiseppe and Caleb – still working on making FS Wiki easier for novice and not exclude veteran user.
- judgepedia imbeds video
- ubuntu.com is clean
- werelate.org is worlds’ largest genealogy wiki – good for engagement/training
- wikitravel.org - clean, clear, dynamic
- Wikihow.com – nice to new contributors, makes it easy to edit
: Portals vs Catagories discussion
• FS Wiki “SEARCH” does not work well – engineering issue
• Update please (engineering) on status of RichEditor upgrade
• Suggest (to Caleb/Guiseppe) MAJOR topics to head page. Think in terms of MAJOR idea (4-6 MAX) and from there break down to what categories.
• Charles, please offer a short report re: prior week’s Tech meeting at our 9 am Support meeting
• (Diana) New contributors from her area found our Contributor Help page very confusing
• Verify you have email at https://owa.ldschurch.org (Microsoft Outlook Web App) and https://home.ldschurch.org (This should open a page with olive green header where your name should be across the top of the page. You should be able to access the OWA account from here as well). This is the “Intranet”. If issues, contact ICS at 1.801.240.HELP and ask to set up.
Review last week's agenda for missed items
- Needed training:
- Training/new missionaries & Volunteers
- Maintenance Report - Sandra
- Tech updates
- Tech updates
- Questions from HTML 5 Class (Mondays at 12PM Mountain):
Patrolling and Amdocs Review
- Did you see anything while patrolling this past week that would be interesting to discuss with the team?
- See what is being touched.
- Catch potenial attacks
- What did you learn this week that you want to share?
- What do you need help with?
- Do you have questions or suggestions regarding others are working on?
- Moderator Support report - Cleaning up moderator list and finding current moderators. (Myra)
For next week:
- New Contributor Support report:
|Team Member||Support Assignments||Content Project||User Name|
|Blake||Volunteers, Overviews, Graphics|
|Charles||Non-English wiki, FHC Pages||Thurston County - FamilySearch Catalog, York County||Ccsmith|
|LaVera||Welcoming Committe new people, Categories||Help pages project-slow but steady.||Parrisl|
|Lee||Developing Training - Non-English, Tech||Non-English, Tech Training, SF Development||Ldrew|
|Linda||New volunteers||Submit Content to the Wiki||Lindachappell|
|Robin|| Volunteers, Moderators, Training Lessons for New Volunteers
||South Carolina Moderator, contributing to African American Research and Columbia, South Carolina||SavingStories|
|Rorie||New Missionary Training, Special Projects||Idaho & Native American Moderator||Jenson1|
|Sandra||Maintenance, Trainer, Mentor||Categories, Help Pages, Canada||Sandralpond|
Supervisor Training or Updates
Improve the Wiki
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 17:14.
- This page has been accessed 961 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News