Comprehensive List of Rochdale ChapelriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Rochdale St Chad Parish page.
St Chad is an ancient* parish and one of the larger towns in Lancashire. It possesses numerous townships with their respective chapels or chapelries all subdivided it. Here is a comprehensive list of townships with chapelries attached to this ancient parish:
- Rochdale St Chad with St Mary - 1592;
- Rochdale St Albans Chapelry - 1856
- Rochdale St Mary (Baum Chapel) - 1742 burials; sometimes known as Wardleworth St Mary the Baum
- Butterworth Milnrow - 1726
- Castleton St Martin - 1858
- Dobcross - 1787
- Friarmere - 1767
- Friezeland - 1849
- Healey - 1847
- Lees - 1743 (partly also in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne)
- Littleborough - 1741
- Lydgate St Marys - 1788
- Saddleworth - 1612
- Smallbridge - 1834
- Spotland St Clement - 1835
- Todmorden - 1625
- Todmorden Christ Church - 1832
- Tunstead - 1840
- Walsden - 1845
- Wardleworth St James - 1821
- Wardle with Wuerdle St John (see Smallbridge)
- Wardleworth St Mary the Baum – see under Rochdale St Mary; see Manchester Central Library
- Whitworth - 1753
- Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project is indexing most of Lancashire's parish and chapelry registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as Nonconformist registers
- Newspaper index at Rochdale Local Studies Library is online, 1856 to the twentieth century.
- The website, "A Church Near You" provides some information on some chapelries (and parishes)
Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, by Youngs, Frederic A. Pub: The Royal Historical Society, London 1991
Topographical Dictionary of England, Lewis Samuel. Pub: Samuel A. Lewis & Co. London 1841
A Comprehensive Gazetteer of England, by Bell, James. A. Pub.: Fullarton & Co. Glasgow 1836
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, by A. Fullarton & Co. Glasgow and London ca. 1869 (see www.visionofBritain.org.uk)
- This page was last modified on 20 February 2015, at 01:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,986 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More